Manager: Risk Management
Mr. Lindile Delubom
Risk management is a systematic and formalised process to identify, assess, manage and monitor risks. Furthermore, a risk is the possibility of an event occurring that will have an impact on the achievement of objectives, measured in terms of impact and likelihood.
The provisions of section 62(1)( c)(i) of the Municipal Finance Management Act stipulates that the Accounting Officer is responsible for ensuring that the municipality, has and maintains effective, efficient and transparent systems of financial and risk management and internal control. The Public Sector Risk Management Framework serves as a guide on how risk management should be implemented in the public sector.
The main purpose of risk management is to assist the municipality through the risk management process achieve, among other things, the following outcomes needed to underpin and enhance performance:
(a) More sustainable and reliable delivery of services;
(b) Informed decisions underpinned by appropriate rigour and analysis;
(d) Reduced waste;
(e) Prevention of fraud and corruption;
(f) Better value for money through more efficient use of resources; and
(g) Better outputs and outcomes through improved project and programme management
- To ensure an effective and efficient risk management system in the district municipality.
- To advice the council and municipal manager on the strategic risks and operational risks of the district municipality that way impact on the achievement of the strategic objectives.
- Advice the municipal manager and management on alignment of the strategic objectives with the strategic risks and operational risks.
- To coordinate the governance structures through the implementation of the combined assurance model.
- Develop and implement the risk management policy, strategy, and the risk management implementation plan.
- To provide guidance to the local municipalities on risk management, anti-fraud and corruption.
- To render effective and efficient internal controls in the district municipality.
- To provide compliance framework to the district municipality and also provide guidance to the local municipality.
- To enforce compliance on MFMA and other related prescripts.
- To ensure compliance with MFMA, SCM policies, and other National Treasury practice notes on finance and supply chain.
(c) Anti-fraud and corruption
- To implement the fraud prevention plan which include a fraud prevention policy in the district municipality.
- To develop and implement an investigation policy.
- To develop a case management system that will ensure effective and efficient management of cases.
- To establish a whistle blowing mechanism.
- To develop a whistle blowing policy that will support the whistle blowing mechanism in the district municipality.
- To provide assurance to the council and the municipal manager on the management of fraud risks.
- Promote professional ethics in the district municipality.