The Executive Mayor of the CHDM, Cllr Kholiswa Vimbayo, outlined the Chris Hani Month Programme in a media briefing on Friday flanked by her Mayoral Committee. The programme which commenced in 2008 will see the CHDM local communities participate in a number of activities lined up for the month.
In 2008, the CHDM Council resolved to declare the month of April as Chris Hani month and be celebrated annually. A befitting overarching theme for Chris Hani Month was also adopted as “Defining the legacy of Chris Hani in action”. Sub-themes aligned to this overarching theme are developed each calendar year.
This year the Chris Hani Month is celebrated under the theme “Together Advancing Chris Hani’s ideals in every community”. 2017 marks the 9th Chris Hani Celebrations in the area and the 24th year since his brutal assassination.
To commemorate this month, a number of events are organised in various municipalities across the District. The events range from showcasing service delivery initiatives, launching of projects, sport activities, delivering memorial lectures and promoting local economic development. These efforts are part of encouraging community interaction aimed to educate and create awareness on the significance of the liberation struggle and liberation icons and promote social cohesion.
As Chris Tembisile Hani was laid to rest at Ekurhuleni Metropolitan in Gauteng, a delegation from the CHDM is joining Ekurhuleni Metropolitan for his commemoration scheduled for today, 10th April 2017. These two municipalities will also revive their agreement to reinforce a partnership that facilitates collaboration on specific areas such as skills development and exchange visits during the month of April.
The following are some activities for the month:
- Today, 10 April 2017 at 1400: Chris Hani (and O.R. Tambo) Memorial Lecture in Cofimvaba High School, Intsika Yethu LM
- 15-17 April 2017 at 10h00, Gwede Mantashe Foundation Easter Soccer Tournament in Alovale, Dampy Adams Stadium
- 19 April 2017 at 10h00, Handing over of pig sties and pigs to Cooperatives (Tarkastad Piggery Projects) : Tarkastad, Enoch Mgijima
- Handing over of completed Sheep dipping tanks (Zulukama Sheep dipping tanks) : Hewu, Enoch Mgijima LM
- Show-casing of the bottled wine (Shiloh vineyard project) at 10h00 : Shiloh, Enoch Mgijima LM
- Handover of water reticulation project (Hewu phase 6 Sawutiya reticulation (Hewu RA60 Regional Bulk Water Supply Scheme Phase 6 – extension of Pipeline Sawutiya) : Hewu, Enoch Mgijima LM
- Launch of Lukhanji Masisebenzisane Secondary Co-operative Incubation Site for Agricultural Co-operatives in Braakloof : Enoch Mgijima LM
- 20 April 2017 at 10h00, Jazz Summit : Council Chamber
- To launch the start of one (1) year Construction Learnership Program JJ Serfontein: Enoch Mgijima
- Hand over a variety of materials and equipment to Esiilindini Early Childhood Centre: Engcobo Local Municipality
- 22 April 2017 at 06h00, Chris Hani Marathon (5km, 10km and 25kms) at 06h00 : Sabalele (Intsika Yethu) Municipality
- Chris Hani Fashion Show (Showcasing of products by CHDM designers to market their brands and products ) : Komani, Enoch Mgijima Municipality at 10h00
- 24 April 2017 at 10h00, SMME Day (Showcasing of SMME supported and handover of equipment).
For a detailed programme, inquiries or interviews with the Executive Mayor kindly liaise with Ms Buli Ganyaza on 083 514 5526 / Ms Tobeka Mqamelo on 082 563 2976.Issued by the Chris Hani District Municipality Communication and Media Unit